Tents need to be cleaned regularly for them to retain their utility value and last for a pretty long time. It is equally important for you to know that without following a recommended cleaning process, you will have to purchase another tent sooner than you expected. Having said this, there are quite a number of ways that you can clean then tent properly without washing. The following are some of the things you must consider during and before the cleaning process:
- The type of materials used to make the tent; this is a determinant on type of detergent you can use.
- The type of waterproof covering attached to the tent
- What solvents are recommended for the particular tent type
- Do you want to store the tent or clean it while still in camp?
- Type of stains - it can be those caused by bird droppings, pole or anything related
- Mildew issues
The above are some of the most important factors that you will have to put into consideration when cleaning a tent. Of course you should think about manufacturer’s options when you want to clean your tent. Nevertheless, having an understanding of the basics will always save you time and money in the long run.
What you should consider?
As stated before, you need to follow all accepted tips that relate to cleaning tents. If you desire to clean tent without washing, make it a point to have all the necessary tools and equipment in place. Also, see to it that you have the best of materials that come in handy in the cleaning process. For instance, vacuum cleaner, sponge, solvent, and brush preferably those with soft bristles. You can follow the following procedures that will help you get the better results:
- You should start by vacuuming the entire tent or sweeping it thoroughly to remove any debris and dirt on the floor. Of course, this should be done when the tent is raised. Thereafter, you can go ahead and spray the outside of your tent by using pure water or very mild soap.
- If there are any hard-to-remove dirt, you can as well use a recommended tent cleaner lest you damage it before it serves you for years. Importantly, you can use brush, preferably toothbrush if you are operating on a very tight budget.
- When done with removal of stain, see to it that you use antibacterial in order to get rid of any disease cause pathogenic elements that are harbored by the tent. This is one of the best ways to disinfect the tent and make much safer. In fact, you will prevent the development of mildew and also helps eliminate spores which often affect all manner of tents.
- If done with disinfecting the tent, you can leave it to dry in the air for several hours before packing and storing it away. In this case, it is highly recommended that you consider to follow all due procedures. Clean your tent on a sunny windy day so that it dries up fast but don’t expose it too long on the sunlight.
Key facts to remember
There are a number of facts that you should remember when cleaning tents without washing. First off, use specialized tools and equipment including vacuums that are tailored in such a way that you will be able to get the best possible results. Secondly, see to it that you do not use harsh spot removal detergents as these might create ugly spots on the tent. Furthermore, avoid scrubbing the inside of the tent as this might lead to damage.
Resist using cleaning machines, as these might reduce utility value of your tent. In fact, tent experts have always advised not to dry your tent in direct sunlight. Before you can think of storing and drying your tent, any traces of detergents must be removed. It doesn’t matter whether your tent has the footprint or not. You need to ensure that all cleaning processes are followed correctly.
Some points on storage
It is vital to store your tent in dry cool place after using, so that you can enjoy high functionality rate for many years to come. In regard to storage, ensure that it is dry and remove any elements of water and dirt. Furthermore, avoid putting tents next to unnatural heat sources so that quality of fabric is not affected.
If you find out that your tent is holding water or leaking, you must move fast and reproof it. In case such a problem is left unattended, then you will need to buy a new tent. Nevertheless, regular cleaning and maintenance can help increase lifespan of your tent irrespective of brand or model.