Hiking is one of the most thrilling activities that you can engage in at any time. While some people have hiked for years, some are just beginning to get acquainted with the abc’s of this activity. Hiking can be pretty thrilling, but the fact that you can get blisters in long distance hikes can as well be quite annoying. Nevertheless, the joy of the activity surpasses the injuries you can get or blisters that form on your feet. Of course, blister issues should not deter you from going for long-distance hikes that can eventually turn into unforgettable lifetime experience. Here are some important points for you to prevent blisters as well as chafing.
How to prevent blisters?
It is important to know how blisters are caused, before even thinking of what kind of solutions are available for you. Basically, blisters are caused by friction that comes when there is too much sweating and high heat levels. In almost all cases, these are preventable and the best way is to consider the following things as a hiker:
• Stay hydrated at all times during the time you are hiking. You can go for sodium replacements if need, or take a bottle of drinking water with you.
• Always choose the right hiking shoes that are articulately designed for hiking purposes. Also, ensure that the shoes fit well, and are made of the best possible materials. You will not only prevent blisters but actually be comfortable and prevent falls. Do not choose those that are too loose because this will be a problem in itself; do not choose shoes that are too tight as this will make matters worse. Shoes that breathe well is a plus if you want to prevent blisters. You can do a little bit of research prior to spending your hard-earned money.
• Use powder to stay dry. There are quite a number of powder brands out there that you can use to stay dry. In fact, make it a point to go for those that are recommended for hiking.
• Socks - it would be insane to go for hiking without wearing high quality socks, no matter the type of shoes you have with you.
• Lubricants - if you are going for long distance hikes, lubricants will help you a great deal. However, see to it that you do not over apply as this can be a problem, too. Remember, there are specific lubricants that come in handy for marathoners and hikers so determine the type that will best meet your unique needs.
• Blister Pads - every experienced long distance hiker will always advise you to use blister pads all the time. It is for this reason that you can go for long hikes, and still walk well without feeling pain caused by excessive heat, or blisters for this case.
• Tapping and Wrappings - of course, this is one thing that can help you and you will never suffer from any blister-related complications. You can use athletic tape or wrap the areas around toes to prevent any blisters from forming. Actually, you will always enjoy long hikes without thinking so much of problem related to such distances.
Blisters do not just suddenly appear, but they do take time and you will exhibit some signs. For instance, there will a red spot caused by rubbing of skin. This is the time that you should take counter measures by trying to avoid further irritation by cushioning the area. As such, not only will you prevent the blister from forming but actually will be able to proceed with some sense of peace in your mind.
A word on Chafing
Chafing is often caused by excessive sweating making you feel uncomfortable. In most cases, appears in groin area, armpits, and nipples. Generally, when two areas of the skin are consistently rubbed against each other then chafing occurs. It can be a painful experience for those going for long distance hikes. Just like blisters, these shouldn’t worry you either. Do not avoid long distance hikes because they are quite exciting and you will be thrilled all way to the top of the mountain.
If you want to prevent chafing, it is advisable to stay dry and wear better clothing for the hike. Also, you can get a recommended lubricant to use while you’re out there in the field. Furthermore, experts have always recommended that you stay hydrated throughout the hike. If you desire to prevent some nasty experiences with chafing, see to it that you products that are certifies. Nevertheless, there are some homemade lubricants that you as well use.
Last but not least, see to it that you do some on boots, clothing, and equipment, and buy those that are known to help long-distance hikers.