We all know that hiking is an exciting activity, but we shouldn’t forget that it’s also very dangerous. Hiking experts agree that hiking is one of the most dangerous activities and trip to the mountains must be well planned. This includes safety hiking shoes, clothes, shelter, and of course, first aid kit.
First aid kit should always be in your backpack while you’re hiking. It’s especially essential to have on an overnight backpacking mountain trips. First aid kit stuff must consist of remedies for fairly and regularly use such as blisters, bandages, aspirin, and remedies for critical emergency. Of course, you should include medication depending on your own condition.
While preparing first aid kit, you should consider how long you are going to stay in the mountains. It’s obvious that for longer duration of the trip, you would need more remedies in your first aid kit. Also, first aid kit should be waterproof in case of heavy rain. If you don’t have a waterproof first aid kit bag, you can use zipped plastic bag and put first aid kit inside. Also, it’s advised to put remedies in separate plastic bags in order not to get wet.
If you’re thinking that it’s too difficult to prepare your own first aid kit, you can buy a prepackaged one and add additional medication like prescribed medicine, medicine for allergies and so on. Prepackaged first aid kits are a little bit pricey. So if you want to save money and be sure that everything you might need is packed inside, the best thing to do is to pack your own first aid kit. Don’t worry if it’s your first time packing a first aid kit, because this article, we will let you know what you should put in your first aid kit.
What to put inside your first aid kit?
- Bandages – it’s important to have more bandages because small cuts and blisters are the most usual injuries during the hike or any other backpacking trip.
- Closure strips – it should be at least 4-inch in order to cover larges wounds.
- Sterile dressing pads – good for putting pressure on a wound and stopping bleeding. You should get at least 5 dressing pads. Of course, more would be better, but if you’re hiking only for half or one day, 5 should be enough.
- Gauze roll or adhesive tape – since dressings should stay in place, gauze roll or adhesive tape will hold the dressing and let you move without worrying about your dressing.
- Tweezers, knife and scissors – these are a big help if you are going to take the cloth or dirt off.
- Thermometer – to check your body temperature if you’re not feeling well.
- Irrigation syringe or antiseptic towelettes – the best option for cleaning your wounds.
- Antibiotic ointment (Vaseline) – You can use vaseline or an antibiotic ointment because both of them can be used in dressing the wound.
- Aloe vera gel – if you’re going to hike in summer, you might get burnt from the sun, so aloe vera gel helps to relieve your irritated skin.
- Hand sanitizer – to disinfect your hands before treating wounds.
- Latex free medical gloves – after sanitizing your hands, you should wear gloves and treat your wounds.
These are the most important in your first aid kit, but don’t forget that you will need medicine such as ibuprofen (pain reliever, fever and headache reducer), aspirin (prevents from heart attack and reduces headache), loperamide (helps from diarrhea), loratadine (effective medicine for allergies). Also, It’s recommended to have a CPR mask that can be used for rescue breathing and helps the user to protect from blood, saliva and vomit. The most possible way that you won’t need it, but just in case, you should have it inside your first aid kit.
Before going to hike don’t forget to make a small card with your general information: medical information, your address, contact number of your family's members. And it would be perfect if you get a survival fire starter because you never know what could happen.
There are lots of stuffs in your first aid kit, so you have to prepare it some weeks before your trip in order to not forget something important. Remember that it’s okay to consult with your own doctor about first aid kit because it can protect you from serious situations.